Does back to school raise a fearful feeling in you for your child? It might if they struggle with attention, behavior, or hyperactivity.
We all want to do the best we can to help our children succeed in school, but it's hard to know what to do when our children don't fit the typical criteria.
We can help!
Homestead founder, Alison Buehler, is bringing her research on what works for children who struggle in school together into one course to help you help your child make this school year great!
"When I taught alternative school and special education, I thought, 'If I can just find the right curriculum, all my kids could learn.' I went off to study what worked for tough kids in a doctoral program. What I found was that curriculum had very little to do with it. Supporting kids behaviorally, calming their nervous systems, and feeding their brains turned out to be the cornerstones to helping challenging students succeed in school," Buehler explained.
This course is broken into four online lessons with a weekly online meet-up and a private Facebook support group.
"The support group helps you keep on track during the course and after the course is over," said Real Food Online Course participant, Marty Brown. "It is great to learn from other people and to see that you aren't alone in your struggle."
Lesson 1: Why is my child struggling? This lesson will help you pinpoint what the root causes of struggle are for your child. Whether attentional, learning, sensory, emotional, behavioral, or a combination, it will create a starting point for understanding your child's unique challenges and show you what further testing might be appropriate.
Lesson 2: All Change is Behavioral on the Surface. The easiest part to "fix" or change is behavioral. It is the part that we, as parents, can impact quickly and with good results. You will learn three techniques and practices for quickly and effectively improving the symptoms of your child's struggle in school.
Lesson 3: Calming the Nervous System. In lesson three, we will begin to look at some of the causes beneath the surface of children who struggle in school. We will look at several effective techniques for helping your child (and yourself) respond, rather than react, reduce impulsivity, and increase feelings of overall well-being.
Lesson 4: Supporting Success . In the final lesson, we will look at some of the success stories of children who have previously only struggled in school, and we will learn how to support our kids' bodies and brains so that they will have the opportunity to thrive.
You will walk away from this course knowing:
1. Why your child struggles in school and what underlying issues you can address to help them succeed.
2. How to use three behavioral change techniques that will help your child succeed in school.
3. How to use 3-4 different techniques to help soothe your child's nervous system.
4. What you can do to support overall success by improving the assets your child brings to school.
The lessons are typically about an hour and you can watch them on your own schedule.
- The Facebook Private Group is optional, but it is typically one of the favorite parts of our online courses.
- The live online groups require Facebook and are conducted within the private groups.
- You have access to all the course material as long as you like.
- You can email or message the teacher of the course at anytime with questions throughout the month.
- You can register anytime during the month of the online course and catch up if you like, but we encourage you to join the community at the beginning to benefit from the one on one support from the facilitator.
Homestead Member Pricing: $69